Saturday, October 24, 2009

What will happen if we paint green vinyl shutters black? Can it be done so that the surface does not buckle?

I have read that painting vinyl shutters a darker color will cause the vinyl to absorb more heat and buckle. We really want to repaint our shutters black. We have worked with Sherwin Williams to get a vinyl formula that does not use black pigment (which is apparently the culprit in absorbing too much heat). However, the blacks they have given us are not true blacks - one was more blue and one is more of a dark gray/green color. I'm tempted to just risk it and go buy the black Krylon Fusion spray paint (for plastic) and see what happens. I read that Krylon says painting a darker color over a lighter color will make the surface buckle but I'm not quite sure what that means and how long it will take. If it will destroy the shutters and be noticable, then I don't want to do it. But, if it is just a minor problem, then it may be worth it. Any suggestions/advice/comments? Thanks!

What will happen if we paint green vinyl shutters black? Can it be done so that the surface does not buckle?
I just finished painting the vinyl siding on my house, and as you said, it does say to paint vinyl a lighter color than what it currently is. I did; however, paint my shutters black, but I bought them primed from the manufacturer. The prior house I lived in, I painted the shutters from brown to dark green and the following family painted the shutters from dark green to black. It has been 5 years and I went by the house last week and the shutters look fine. I believe the vinyl in the shutters is thick enough that it will not have a buckeling problem. (Unlike vinyl siding.)





When I painted my vinyl siding, I used the Behr Premium Plus from Home Depot. It is an excellent paint. It dries quickly and adheres like nothing I've ever used. For the shutters I used a simple black exterior latex.





I think it's safe to say that you'll be okay to paint your shutters black, but if you aren't sure, I would put a primer over the exisiting paint before painting the final color.





Hope this helps.
Reply:If you want to try it, use a primer first. A light grey.





Automobiles paint plastic all the time.


Maybe check with a car paint shop.





http://www.btcomm.com/trains/primer/stru...



makeup tips

No comments:

Post a Comment